Strange issue with Windows 10

Stimulsoft Reports.WPF discussion
PJoyeux

Re: Strange issue with Windows 10

Post by PJoyeux »

I will ask my admin about 4.6.1...

But still, are you seriously saying, that the components are not working under Win 10 / Net 4.6?

- Do other users of your components have the same issues?
- If not: why do I have the issue? What could it be that I do, that others do not, with your components?
- If yes: how do they solve this?

- Were you ever able to reproduce this at all? My printjob has a size of 0 bytes although I do not receive ANY KIND of error/warning...
- You say there are some workarounds: can you please setup some kind of FAQ on your site summarizing these?

- What is MS saying about this?
- There are millions of applications out there that are able to print under Windows 10, what's so special about yours?

Thanks

Pascal
HighAley

Post by HighAley »

Hello. Pascal.

All of the issues occurs in communications between WPF and printer driver. In most cases we don't get any error and the print task goes to the printer.
Some issues occur with certain printers. Some issues in certain circumstances. As I wrote in the first answer on this topic, one issue is confirmed by Microsoft.

The other issue was with page size. Did you try to change the page size as described here?

Also one of our customers had an issue with printing when there was an empty page in the report. Do you have empty pages?

If you still can't solve your issue, please, contact us in skype (stimulsoft.support). We will send you some test report templates.

Thank you.
PJoyeux

Post by PJoyeux »

Hi,

thanks for your answer!

>Some issues occur with certain printers. Some issues in certain circumstances
What are those circumstances? It would help tremendously knowing more about them.

>Also one of our customers had an issue with printing when there was an empty page in the report. Do you have empty pages?
no, I do not have empty pages

Workaround 1:
So maybe setting the proper culture-info could help? ("Workaround is to use CurrentCulture instead of InvariantCulture."). If this could save me from using the most current version of the components, I would be fine with that... How can I set this? Is that a parameter of PrintWithWpf ()?

Workaround 2:
I cannot expect my users to change the sizes of reports from the standard-german A4 to custom and then "change a little the Width or Height." as described in http://support.stimulsoft.com/index.php ... 26-printer. But I could do this right before printing I guess. Can I do this right before using PrintWithWpf()?

Would it help to run the application in some kind of "Win 7 compatibilty mode"?
Were you ever able to reproduce the error?
Could you send me the reports you were referring to directly, without skype?

How many users of your components are affected by this? I mean, if even your newest download doesn't seem to work, there should be many of them...

Regards,
Pascal
HighAley

Post by HighAley »

Hello, Pascal.

Some of issues with printing we were able to reproduce, some not. We worked on solution of each of the issues until our customers were satisfied.
So in some of them we have a solution with changing the page size. The issue with CultureInfo is fixed is fixed in build v.2015.1.16 from 2015.08.07. So if you use later builds, don't care about it.
Also we have issues with duplex printing and blank pages. If there are not blank pages in your report, it's OK.

Here the steps that we follow:
1. We need to try to reproduce your issue on our side. So we need to get your report with data that reproduces the issue.
2. If the issue depends on some specific printer model or something else we will simplify your report to localize the issue and will ask you to test the reports on your side. This could take much time and we had sent dozen of reports to one of our customers to localize the issue. It's impossible to send all reports at once, because the next report depends on result you get with the previous one.
3. After this we try to make an improvement in our code and ask you to test our assemblies. If the issue still exists we go back to the second step.

So we need the detailed description of the issue that you get and a report template with data that reproduces the issue.

Also I should add about Win 7 compatibility. Some of issues appeared after installing the .Net Framework 4.6 on Windows 7.

Thank you.
PJoyeux

Post by PJoyeux »

Hi,

thanks for the info. I know you're trying to help and I had very good experience with you solving a few issues I had when I first introduced your components into my application. But I am really getting desperate... ;-)

Regarding sending data and reports, this is always very tricky as you can imagine and I won't be able to work on this project for the next 3 weeks unfortunately.

Still, as I had already said, your newest demo isn't printing anything too. So I am not sure, how sending you reports of my application would give you more help. We were not able to print on different brands of network-attached laser-printers using your demo-sofware either... Can your demo be run in some kind of "debug" mode that would create some log-files or something similar? Had any customer have a similar issue (print jobs in print-queue having 0 bytes)?

The last thing I will ask the admin to test, is whether he can print using your demo if the printer is attached locally to the PC... Maybe it has something to do with the network-settings somehow...

Regards,
Pascal
PJoyeux

Post by PJoyeux »

PJoyeux wrote:
The last thing I will ask the admin to test, is whether he can print using your demo if the printer is attached locally to the PC... Maybe it has something to do with the network-settings somehow...
Just got the answer: same problem when printing directly to a locally installed printer...

Can you think of a way to provide a special version of the libraries we could install OVER an already installed demo-installation but that would add some kind of error-logging? Maybe after adding some more try..catch blocks? Or maybe we can turn this extra-logging on somewhere in .Net/WPF?

Can you involve MS and ask them how an "empty/0-bytes" printer-job can happen with your demo?

Regards,
Pascal
HighAley

Post by HighAley »

Hello, Pascal.

As we understand you run our WPF Demo and can't print any report on your network printers, right?
We will try to reproduce it on our printers.

Also we ask you to make some tests on your side. Could you print on a virtual printer from WPF Demo.
Please, download our WinForms Demo and try to print any report to network, local and virtual printers.

Try to change the size of the Page an a few points and try to print from WPF Demo.

Thank you.
PJoyeux

Post by PJoyeux »

HighAley wrote:Hello, Pascal.

As we understand you run our WPF Demo and can't print any report on your network printers, right?
We will try to reproduce it on our printers.
Same is unfortunately true for local printers...
Also we ask you to make some tests on your side. Could you print on a virtual printer from WPF Demo.
What would a virtual printer be? a PDF-Printer?
Please, download our WinForms Demo and try to print any report to network, local and virtual printers.

Try to change the size of the Page an a few points and try to print from WPF Demo.

Thank you.
HighAley

Post by HighAley »

Hello, Pascal.

Yes, any virtual printer. It could be PDF or XPS printer.

Please, try to print from our test project.
At first try TestWpfPrint project then TestPrintStimulsoftWpf project.

The TestWpfPrint project test WPF printing.

The TestPrintStimulsoftWpf project test printing with Stimulsoft methods.

Thank you.
Attachments
TestPrintStimulsoftWpf.zip
(54.2 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
TestWpfPrint.zip
(74.13 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
PJoyeux

Post by PJoyeux »

HighAley wrote:...
The TestWpfPrint project test WPF printing.
The TestPrintStimulsoftWpf project test printing with Stimulsoft methods.

Thank you.
Thanks for providing the zip-files...

As I am currently not able to work on that project but just can exchange information with the admin, and to be sure, he most current version of your library is used, can I ask you to provide me the compiled binaries? I saw that TestWpfPrint.zip contained the exe-file, but TestPrintStimulsoftWpf does not...

I would then forward the packages to the admin and tell him to use the binaries.

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Pascal