Create a connection to Excel on a web server

Stimulsoft Reports.WEB discussion
cbrydon

Create a connection to Excel on a web server

Post by cbrydon »

Hello,

I've been trying to create an OLEDB connection to an Excel file on a web server using the following connection strings...

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\MyExcel.xls;Extended Properties="Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1";
Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=c:\MyExcel.xlsx;Extended Properties="Excel 12.0 Xml;HDR=YES";

In my case I replace C:\MyExel.xls (xlsx) with a local path on the server.

The problem is that I get the error about the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 not being registered on the local machine, but I
do know that it is installed on my local machine because I can find the relevant dll file and Registry settings. And I can create
a connection to a local file without any issues.

I do know that there are no security restrictions accessing the file because I can type in a URL to the file and download it,
but maybe its not possible to create an OleDB connection to an excel file on a web server. If there isn't, can you suggest a way to connect to and report on an excel file on a web server?

I should add that I am using Stimulsoft Reports.Web Version 2014.1.1900 and Flash Player 16.0 for Windows
cbrydon

Re: Create a connection to Excel on a web server

Post by cbrydon »

Hi,

I've done some more digging and foudn that I was able to successfully create a connection with the following connection
string...

Provider=MS Remote; Remote Provider=Microsoft.Jet.4.0; Remote Server=http://any.server.com; Data Source=E:\Documents\ExcelInfo.xls;

However, when I try to retrieve columns using the following syntax, "Select * from [Sheet1$]", I get the following error
"Internet Server Error: Object/module not found".

Do you any any ideas or suggestions?
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Hello,

We couldn't reproduce this bug.
Please try to check the last version.

Thank you.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (153.7 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
cbrydon

Post by cbrydon »

HI Aleksy,

I tried the latest version and I still get the same issue. However, I've decided that its a problem on the server side.
Instead of connecting to excel, I decided to convert the excel file to XML first and then I can connect to and access
the data from a report.

Thanks,
Carl
Jan

Post by Jan »

Hello Carl,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
I also want inform you that we will add a new database pack for Excel to avoid similar problem in future. This database pack will not use OLEDB.
The database pack will be available in one month.

Please contact us if you need any help.

Thank you.
cbrydon

Post by cbrydon »

Hi Jan,

I'm wondering if a database pack for Excel has been added yet? I looked at the following page, but don't
see it listed as an option here... https://www.stimulsoft.com/en/downloads/database-packs. Is there
another place I could or should be looking?

Carl
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Hello,

The Excel data source was added in HTML5 designer. But if you need to use query statement to select data from sheet, you need use OleDb connection.

Thank you.
Attachments
Excel.PNG
Excel.PNG (17.27 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
cbrydon

Post by cbrydon »

OK Thank you Aleksey!
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Hello

Let us know if you need any additional help.

Thank you.
cbrydon

Post by cbrydon »

Hi Aleksey,

I'm coming back to this topic after almost a year of setting it aside. I've attached a blank report that has a connection
established to an excel spreadsheet (also attached), but I cannot get any columns to appear for a datasource using
the following string... "select * from [Density$]". Should I be using a different Oledb connection string or does the
excel sheet need to be formatted in any way?

I am using Stimulsoft Reports.Web build 2017.1.16 from June 3, 2017, ASP.Net, Flex

Hope you can help!
Attachments
XLSX_Test.mrt
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Density4.xlsx
(9.22 KiB) Downloaded 477 times