Pure .NET Core Support

Stimulsoft Reports.NET discussion
hugo

Pure .NET Core Support

Post by hugo »

Hello,

From your website "Pure .NET Core Support" :)

This means that a .NET Framework 4.X backend (only backend) that uses Stimulsoft Reports .NET can easily switch to .NET Core 2 in a near future !

I have a solution with frontend in Flex/AIR (using FX for the majority of the reports) and .NET 4.7 backend with .Net for a few reports.
I already changed my code to be 100% portable to .NET Core 2. The only exception to the rule right now is about Stimulsoft Reports.
I was considering using JS on server side but if the new solution can solve the problem, I definitely prefer to wait.
It's that the case ?

Regards,
Hugo.
Alex K.

Re: Pure .NET Core Support

Post by Alex K. »

Hello,

We completely port our report engine using the target framework NET Standard 2.0, which will allow us to use the report generator in NetCore App 2.0, with backward compatibility with NET Framework 4.6.1 and higher. HTML5 components will be used as a designer and report viewer, but it may be decided to add support for Flash components.

At the moment, we have not decided whether the new NET Core components will be included in the product, or it will be a separate product. You can consider buying the Ultimate product, in which case you are guaranteed to be able to use the new NET Core components, as well as JS components and other products with this license.

Thank you.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Hello,

Perhaps I may confude you with my previous explanation.
There is no sense to support Flash on .NET Core (on my point of view).

What I'm asking is the difference from "Pure .NET Core support" and the current version of .NET Core support.
Pure .NET Core support means that I will not need to use NodeJS to render/export the reports on server-side or it's exatly the same product that we have today but in a separated product brand ?

Regards,
Hugo.
HighAley

Post by HighAley »

Hello, Hugo.

It will be completely new product. Without nodeJS.
There will be native .Net Core report engine.

Thank you.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Wonderful.
Worth the wait.
The rest of my backend code is already 100% .NET Core compatible, which will allow the transition to .NET Core in a simple way when your product be ready.

Two questions:
1. I guess that the reports target for Stimulsoft full .NET will just work on .NET Core version without modifications or limitations, right ?
2. Just for curiosity: How are you dealing with the graphic part ? Unfortunately System.Drawing (that the current version of Stimulsoft for full .NET uses) is not .NET Standard (at least for now). Are you using an alternative .NET Core Library as SkiaSharp ?
HighAley

Post by HighAley »

Hello, Hugo.

Yes, the reports from .Net will work on .Net Core without any limitations.

We are porting minimum set of methods from System.Drawing that we need for our report engine. When Microsoft add this methods to .Net Core we will use them.

Next week we will publish our new build. We can provide you our beta-version of the .Net Core product. Please, send us a request to support@stimulsoft.com.

Thank you.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Hello HighAley,

"Yes, the reports from .Net will work on .Net Core without any limitations."
As I thought. Both use .NET implementations from MS, so should me perfectly compatible (or minor issues).

"We are porting minimum set of methods from System.Drawing that we need for our report engine"
That's clever. MS also added DataSets that was not expected, so System.Drawing besides have a high Windows dependency, soon or latter a solution will be implemented and your code will be ready to take advantage of that.

OK, I will send a request for the beta.

Regards,
Hugo.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Hello Hugo,

Microsoft already has some classes in the System.Drawing on beta, so we think that soon will release this library.
https://www.nuget.org/packages/System.Drawing.Common

Thank you.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Hello,

By this link the beta version of our tool compatible with .NET Core 2.0 is available:
https://www.nuget.org/packages/Stimulsoft.Reports.Mvc

Examples of using can be found in the following repository on GitHub:
https://github.com/stimulsoft/Samples-N ... MVC-CSharp

Thank you.