Report with nested data grouping

Stimulsoft Ultimate discussion
asado

Report with nested data grouping

Post by asado »

Dear Stimulsoft community,

let me try explain my use case:
I would like to create a report which groups data on different levels (in a nested way).

1. On the first (highest) level the grouping should be upon some "events" which occur periodically during year (e.g. public days).
2. On the second level the grouping should continue on the roles in the company (CEO, CFO, Project Manager, etc.)
3. On the third level the grouping shold be followed upon the working place (sitting place in company, home office, etc.)

And below the third level, all business processes should be written out which have a certain criticality (there I would probably use a filter in the data band).

I am using an XML as a data source. The relevant objects/nodes in the XML for this use case are:
- Criticality
- Business Process
- Roles
- Link_BusinessProcess_Criticality
- Link_BusinessProcess_Role

I was trying to solve this with nested groups headers and group footers, but I am not getting the result I want.
My thoughts when grouping were:

- on the first level (1.) the condition for the group header is based on an attribute (event) from "Link_BusinessProcess_Criticality"
- on the second level (2.) the condition for the group header is based on an attribute (role) from "Role"
- on the third level (3.) the condition for the group header is based also on an attribute (sitting place) from "Link_BusinessProcess_Role"
- and then I'd like to write out the business processes upon the mentioned criticality (with a condition which is only company relevant for their intern criticality)

A pseudo example:

-- EVENT 1 --

----- ROLE 1-----

-------- WORKING PLACE 1-------

------------- BUSINESS PROCESS 1--------
------------- BUSINESS PROCESS 2-------
------------- BUSINESS PROCESS 3-------

-------- WORKING PLACE 2-------

------------- BUSINESS PROCESS 4 -------
------------- BUSINESS PROCESS 5 -------

----- ROLE 2 -----

-------- WORKING PLACE 1 -------

------------- BUSINESS PROCESS 2-------
------------- BUSINESS PROCESS 3-------

-------- WORKING PLACE 2 -------

-- EVENT 2 --

etc.

The obstacles were/are - I am not sure if it is possible to do grouping over different nodes in the data source (e.g. XML) which I listed above.

I appreciate your time and help!

Kind regards
HighAley

Re: Report with nested data grouping

Post by HighAley »

Hello.

If we understand you right you should add three group header bands and set a condition for each of them
The data band should show business processes.
What issue do you get with this report?
Could you send us your report template with sample data for analysis?

Thank you.
asado

Post by asado »

HighAley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:23 pm Hello.

If we understand you right you should add three group header bands and set a condition for each of them
The data band should show business processes.
What issue do you get with this report?
Could you send us your report template with sample data for analysis?

Thank you.
Yes, you are right. The problem is/was that grouping criteria (columns) were in three separate tables (nodes in XML) and I am not sure if this is possible to achieve.
But I found a workaround:
I created a business object and added all necessary columns from the diferent tables with the values inside of it, so at the end I've had only one table (instead of three different tables before) and insereted the conditions from the columns in the business object into the three nested grouping headers:

Nevertheless, is there any "easier" way to achieve this?

Thanks and best regards
Attachments
stimulsoft.PNG
stimulsoft.PNG (35.27 KiB) Viewed 4207 times
Lech Kulikowski

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

Please send us a sample report with test data which reproduces the issue for analysis.

Thank you.
HighAley

Post by HighAley »

Hello.

Usually, you should add relations between your data sources.
Using this relations you could get necessary values from different data sources.

Thank you.
asado

Post by asado »

Lech Kulikowski wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:51 pm Hello,

Please send us a sample report with test data which reproduces the issue for analysis.

Thank you.
Hi Lech,

this is unfortunatelly not possible, because I am working with customer data and this is the only reason why I can't send or post more details.
In my case, like I described, I've found a solution to join 3 tables into a business object for a nested grouping - so I guess this would be the approach for me.

Nevertheless, from a technical point of view, you are completely right - you need the data for analysing this scenario and helping me.
I just needed an idea or hint, but it works now fine.

Thank you for your effort and regards
Last edited by asado on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
asado

Post by asado »

HighAley wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:20 am Hello.

Usually, you should add relations between your data sources.
Using this relations you could get necessary values from different data sources.

Thank you.
Good morning HighAlvey,

definitely, and the relations/links in between the data sources/nodes/tables are available.
My obstacle regarding everthing is the documentation, because it is not very extensive and examples are rare.

I gruess (there is nothing mentioned in the documentation), like I said in my first post, it is not possible to achieve a nested grouping over different tables/nodes - in other words it is possible only if you bring together all diferent tables into one general table.

Thanks for your effort and kind regards
Lech Kulikowski

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

There are ways for nested grouping
- use several nested grouping
- or use master-detail constructions

both ways need relations if data are presents as several data sources. We can not provide a more detailed suggestion without test data.

Thank you.