Questions for a newbie

Stimulsoft Reports.PHP discussion
smithwib

Questions for a newbie

Post by smithwib »

You all have put some serious work into this product -- it is awesome! It looks like an amazing fit for a client.

Can you help a newbie out with a questions on getting started?

- I've never used any of the Stimulsoft products before, and just downloaded the demo version of the php zip file and also the msi.
- Is there a beginners' guide or reference somewhere on setting up the php version?
- If there is no guide:
-- I can see how the index.php and handler.php interact with the samples data. For connecting to my data source, is there a tool that I am missing that will generate the appropriate .mrc files for a MySQL connection? I could not find a way to do that within the DesignerFX tool.
-- If there is not a tool, is there a reference on .mrc files?
-- And would we then manually update the index and handler.php files to point to the correct file locations? I don't want to overwrite anything that might be upgraded when subsequent versions are released.

Thanks in advance!
Vladimir

Questions for a newbie

Post by Vladimir »

Hello,

Creating and configuring the database connections can be done in the Web Designer. Watch the video to see how it works:
http://stimulsoft.com/Private/WebDesign ... abase.html

Also, you can modify the PHP files as you need, that would extend the basic functionality, for example, to read/save reports files (.mrt, .mdc) from another location.

Thank you.
smithwib

Questions for a newbie

Post by smithwib »

I swear I tried that video first, but the Designer wasn't showing me any options under the dropdown -- but now it does. Thanks!

A few follow-up questions and comments for you:

- Is there a way to have the php designer save a newly created report to the server rather than to the local machine?
- Note -- looks like the tooltips over command buttons in the web version of the designer are empty.
- Does the paid php version have any support for charts or sub-reports?
- Do you make available a reference for creating Expressions?

Thanks in advance!
Vladimir

Questions for a newbie

Post by Vladimir »

Hello,
- Is there a way to have the php designer save a newly created report to the server rather than to the local machine?
Yes, it is possible. You need to insert the report save code in the handler.php file to the following location:

Code: Select all

// Saving a report
case "SaveReport":
    // .mrt file will be sent to $client_data
    // Response to the client - error code
    // Standard codes:
    //     -1: thwe message box is not shown
    //     0: shows the "Report is successfully saved" message
    // In other cases shows a window with the defined value
    echo "-1";
    break;
- Note -- looks like the tooltips over command buttons in the web version of the designer are empty.
We were unable to reproduce this error. What tooltips do not appear? Have you copied the necessary localization files to the server?

- Does the paid php version have any support for charts or sub-reports?
Subreports and charts are not currently supported. We have already started porting charts to the Reports.Fx, after some time support of several types of charts will be available.

- Do you make available a reference for creating Expressions?
Support of expressions will appear within a month.

Thank you.