Text size and spacing increasing after upgrade

Stimulsoft Reports.WEB discussion
Max Shamanov

Re: Text size and spacing increasing after upgrade

Post by Max Shamanov »

Hello,

When migrating to the new graphics library we have not considered all parameters, which could lead to problems with calculating correct line spacing or whitespace. We have made some changes, they will be available in the new release 2023.3.1.
To solve the issue, you need to use the **Can Grow** property for the text component where the text does not fit.

Thank you.
Ryan Robar

Post by Ryan Robar »

Hello,

I just had the chance to test out the changes you made to your ImageSharp engine for 2023.3.1. The sample I've been running looks a bit better now. There's no cut off text like there was in the previous versions, so it's a definite improvement.

There are still some issues though. The line spacing and letter spacing are both still a little larger than GDI. There also seems to be less margin on the left side than there is in GDI. It looks like the main reason the text doesn't get cut off anymore is wrapping. More text fits on a line than it used to. Since the letter spacing is still wider than GDI I'm guessing this was accomplished by reducing the word spacing, and maybe in part by reducing the left margin. It would be better if you could fix the line and letter spacing.

I've attached the resulting PDF from my latest test. If you compare it to the previous examples I've posted in this thread you'll see the wrapping is significantly different in some of the text boxes.

Thank you for working to address this issue. I'm sure it's a frustrating problem to deal with.
Attachments
RenderTest-2023.3.1.pdf
(15.97 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Max Shamanov

Post by Max Shamanov »

Hello,

We need some additional time to investigate the issue, we will let you know about the result.

Thank you.
Max Shamanov

Post by Max Shamanov »

Hello,

Could you please clarify what OS you are using?

Thank you.
Ryan Robar

Post by Ryan Robar »

Hello,

I've been doing all of this testing in 64-bit Windows 11 Pro.

Thanks.
Max Shamanov

Post by Max Shamanov »

Hello,

Ok.
We need some additional time to investigate the issue, we will let you know about the result.

Thank you.
Ryan Robar

Post by Ryan Robar »

Hello,

It's been a few weeks, has there been any change to the status of this?

Thanks.
Max Shamanov

Post by Max Shamanov »

Hello,

We are still working on the problem. We will let you know when the solution is available.

Thank you.
Max Shamanov

Post by Max Shamanov »

Hello,

In the Net-version we have had the following problem for many years (almost from the very beginning).
by default GDI+ displays text and images with dpi=100, but most formats are displayed in external applications with dpi=96. that's why a line of text, which we have in the preview fits width-wise, will most likely not fit after export and the last word will be moved to the next line.
In some formats we can correct the text scale to some extent (in pdf exactly, in word partially).
But in other formats it is a problem.

If you want the text to be smaller like before, set the following property:
Stimulsoft.Drawing.Graphics.DefaultImageSharpDpi = 96;
or, alternatively, if your application runs specifically on Windows, you can switch to GDI+:
Stimulsoft.Drawing.Graphing.Graphics.GraphicsEngine = Stimulsoft.Drawing.GraphicsEngine.Gdi;

Thank you.