Questions on Richtext, export to word/rtf

Stimulsoft Reports.WPF discussion
chris.procter

Post by chris.procter »

Hello

We've currently got an application where we'd like to end up with a Microsoft Word document with image/text/richtext content. We're having two problems right now (using .Wpf 2010.1):

I use "New Page Before" on the master databand to have a new page for every datarow. This looks fine in the preview output, but when I save to MSWord or RTF formats, there are no pagebreaks in the resulting document. Is there a different option I can use to make this work?

We're also outputting Rich Text (using the technique described in this post), but I'm having a similar problem to the one I had with Textboxes much earlier (see posting) where the Rich Text component isn't quite big enough for the rendered text, and the bottom ends up being cut off. (This was displayed in both the report previewer and in the resulting RTF exported file). I turned on WYSIWYG mode for the Rich Text component, but the problem areas just shifted around (maybe even getting worse).
Are the any other options for this issue?

Thanks
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Hello,

We made some improvements in that direction about a month ago.
Please check the latest build.
If the issue is still present, please send to us a mrt file with data, which reproduce the issue, for analysis.

Thank you.
chris.procter

Post by chris.procter »

Thanks for the reply

I've updated our codebase to use 2010.05.31_R2008, and it's improved the richtext display quite a bit. (I can't tell the difference between WYSIWIG on and off, they're both good).

The page break on Word export is still a problem, but as our client needs to edit the text, we're more interested in the RTF export anyway. Unfortunately, the RTF export doesn't seem to work anymore; when we try it, we get the exception below:
---------------------------

System.Exception: Property 'RemoveEmptySpaceAtBottom' is not found in 'Stimulsoft.Report.Export.Wpf.StiRtfExportSetupForm'.

at Stimulsoft.Report.Wpf.StiWpfFormRunner.get_Item(String key)

at Stimulsoft.Report.Export.StiRtfExportService.Export(StiReport report, String fileName, Boolean sendEMail, StiGuiMode guiMode)

at Stimulsoft.Report.Viewer.StiWpfViewerControl.SaveDocument(StiExportService service, Boolean sendEMail)

at Stimulsoft.Report.Viewer.StiWpfViewerControl.OnReportSaveRtf(RoutedEventArgs e)

at Stimulsoft.Report.Viewer.StiWpfViewerControl.InvokeReportSaveRtf()

at Stimulsoft.Report.Viewer.StiWpfViewerControl.OnViewerCommand(Object target, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs args)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandBinding.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.ExecuteCommandBinding(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e, CommandBinding commandBinding)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(CommandBindingCollection commandBindings, Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)

at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)

at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteImpl(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated)

at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)

at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
OK

Edit: I presume it's a known issue on a newer product, but the Wpf designer doesn't seem as snappy as the .net version. The 2nd time I previewed this report we're making, the designer started chewing up RAM, and was taking 2.5G+ before I got the task manager open to kill it.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Hello,

[quote="chris".procter]I've updated our codebase to use 2010.05.31_R2008, and it's improved the richtext display quite a bit. (I can't tell the difference between WYSIWIG on and off, they're both good).
The page break on Word export is still a problem, but as our client needs to edit the text, we're more interested in the RTF export anyway. Unfortunately, the RTF export doesn't seem to work anymore; when we try it, we get the exception below: ... [/quote]
Sorry for inconvenience.
The problem is solved.
The patch will be available in the next prerelease build.

[quote="chris".procter]I presume it's a known issue on a newer product, but the Wpf designer doesn't seem as snappy as the .net version. The 2nd time I previewed this report we're making, the designer started chewing up RAM, and was taking 2.5G+ before I got the task manager open to kill it.[/quote]
Please provide more details regarding your issue.

Thank you.
chris.procter

Post by chris.procter »

Ivan wrote:Hello,

[quote="chris".procter]I've updated our codebase to use 2010.05.31_R2008, and it's improved the richtext display quite a bit. (I can't tell the difference between WYSIWIG on and off, they're both good).
The page break on Word export is still a problem, but as our client needs to edit the text, we're more interested in the RTF export anyway. Unfortunately, the RTF export doesn't seem to work anymore; when we try it, we get the exception below: ...
Sorry for inconvenience.
The problem is solved.
The patch will be available in the next prerelease build.
[/quote]
Super! We'll check that out.
Ivan wrote: [quote="chris".procter]I presume it's a known issue on a newer product, but the Wpf designer doesn't seem as snappy as the .net version. The 2nd time I previewed this report we're making, the designer started chewing up RAM, and was taking 2.5G+ before I got the task manager open to kill it.
Please provide more details regarding your issue.

Thank you.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Ah, I was afraid you'd ask that. I don't have anything concrete... after resizing the window in certain situations, the redraw seemed to take a while. Also, at one point the designer ate all my RAM, and even after killing it it stayed as my desktop background until reboot. (Though that last one might have been due to the incredible size of the report I was trying to edit, which spooled at over 2G IIRC).

I'll try to keep some notes if I run in to anything reproducible.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hello,

We always work on improving our products.
In your case the information in not enough to find the issue.
We are waiting additional information from you.

Than you.
billy.goforth

Re: Questions on Richtext, export to word/rtf

Post by billy.goforth »

Is there a resolution to this issue? We have the same issue. All looks fine in the preview, but when exporting to word, the band with "New Page Before" does not honor the page break. This makes the export useless.
Lech Kulikowski

Re: Questions on Richtext, export to word/rtf

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

Please send us a sample report with test data that reproduces the issue for analysis.

Thank you.