Report not rendering when too much data are selected from database

Stimulsoft Reports.WEB discussion
lucasrinaldi

Report not rendering when too much data are selected from database

Post by lucasrinaldi »

In the company where I work, we made a Web App to support companies auditings.
One of our clients has too much data, and the report doesn't render when this amount of data is selected from our database. There are reports with more than 3000 pages.
We tried to apply a filter to hide/show some data using the 'condition' parameters but it didn't work. Looks like the data is being fetched before and hidden after, which doesn't help this performance issue.
We discussed using events, but we don't know if it will solve our problem.

So, we need some guidance here... We have two main questions:
The enable parameter could be useful in this scenario? What is the difference between condition and enable?
What can we do to ensure that the report will be rendered even with a large amount of data?

PS: Our report file is available on the attachments tab.
Attachments
general.mrt
(444.5 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Lech Kulikowski

Re: Report not rendering when too much data are selected from database

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

What error do you have?

Please try to increase timeouts:
https://www.stimulsoft.com/en/documenta ... imeout.htm

Thank you.
lucasrinaldi

Post by lucasrinaldi »

The error we got was a simple message: the task was canceled. Probably because the render got an exception, and the thread is stopped.
I think that the timeout won't help because the report sometimes loads, but very randomly: in five executions the report is generated about one/two times, and when it gets canceled, it occurs amazingly fast, about in the first 2 seconds.
The query time is ok too, about 4 seconds total.
One of our main discussions to solve this problem was events or filtering the results and disabling the fetch to the database before it was rendered.
Do you know any of these methods?
Lech Kulikowski

Hello,

You can use the Request From User variables for filtering in the query, and use the RequestParameters=true option for the report.

Thank you.
lucasrinaldi

Post by lucasrinaldi »

So, we already checked our query, and it's fine.
We think that the problem is rendering a big quantity of data.
Does Stimulsoft have some feature to paginate a big amount of data, or does it have some conditions to filter the data before rendering?
Lech Kulikowski

Hello,

Unfortunately, no, the pagination feature for data is not available.

Thank you.
lucasrinaldi

Post by lucasrinaldi »

Our application has a dialog to hide some bands from the report.
Without any filter applied, it returns about three thousand pages of the report.
If we apply the filter, depending on what we check, it only shows one band, but it still fetches everything before hiding the other bands, i.e.: even when it only needs to show half a page, the Stimulsoft works like it needs to show all the three thousand pages.
The question is: how can we stop data from being fetched if the data is not needed?
Today we are using the condition parameters to disable the data, but as I said, it does not work as we expected.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Just a thought - you might try to scheme out a way to control your data query so it is only returning the data you want. My personal experience has been that is a more efficient way than asking the report to control it (the data) at presentation time.
trisha

regarding reports

Post by trisha »

hello,
I am facing problem in stimulsoft report. Even after removing the column the blank space is still there. I have tried your various things but nothing is working.
please can you help me with that
Lech Kulikowski

Hello,

> If we apply the filter, depending on what we check, it only shows one band, but it still fetches everything before hiding the other bands, i.e.: even when it only needs to show half a page, the Stimulsoft works like it needs to show all the three thousand pages. The question is: how can we stop data from being fetched if the data is not needed?

If you apply filters only for the DataBand, then all data from your query will be retrieved and only then will filter be applied. If you add the filter to the query, only filtered data will be retrieved from the database.

Thank you.