Report not rendering when too much data are selected from database

Stimulsoft Reports.WEB discussion
JohnW

Re: Report not rendering when too much data are selected from database

Post by JohnW »

If you apply filters only for the DataBand, then all data from your query will be retrieved and only then will filter be applied. If you add the filter to the query, only filtered data will be retrieved from the database.
I completely agree, better said then my comment. Just because you can do something in the reporting tool, does not make it the best solution for the report. When performance is key you need to tweak everything starting with the queries.
Lech Kulikowski

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

At the current moment, there are no other ways to work with filtering.

Thank you.
lucasrinaldi

Post by lucasrinaldi »

Thanks for the answer, Lech. We did the query filter, which worked in some cases when we need to omit some data.
But we found a problem: Even filtering the query, one of our data sources retrieves about 400 pages, for some reason, the report comes with 350~ pages blank.
I upload a picture so you can see it.
Is this a limitation of Stimulsoft? What can we do in this case?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-21 141355.png
Screenshot 2023-07-21 141355.png (52.47 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
Lech Kulikowski

Hello,

Unfortunately, it is difficult to say why it happens without a sample. Sorry.

Thank you.
lucasrinaldi

Post by lucasrinaldi »

How can I provide a sample for you?
lucasrinaldi

Post by lucasrinaldi »

Lech Kulikowski wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:55 am Hello,

Unfortunately, it is difficult to say why it happens without a sample. Sorry.

Thank you.
I provided our mrt file on the first post of the thread. What sample are you referring to?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I believe Lech is asking for data to connect to and run the report against. Its hard to say by the report whether its a data problem or a report problem.

I did take the liberty of looking at the report sample in the thread. I will say this is one massive report, it has some 23 datasets in it, graphics, tables, hiearchical data, and much more. My first thought is this one report or should it broken down into a couple of reports, should it be spread across pages instead of the one long report it appears to be.

Perhaps the data is returning partailly empty rows, that will impact the presentation of the report and create the empty pages. Given the dataset number and possible relationship that seem something reasonable to look at.

Such are my thoughts at the moment.
Lech Kulikowski

Hello,

Yes, it is difficult to say something exactly without running a report. We do need the full database, just a test data that allow to run report and reproduce the issue.

Thank you.
lucasrinaldi

Post by lucasrinaldi »

JohnW wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:06 pm I believe Lech is asking for data to connect to and run the report against. Its hard to say by the report whether its a data problem or a report problem.

I did take the liberty of looking at the report sample in the thread. I will say this is one massive report, it has some 23 datasets in it, graphics, tables, hiearchical data, and much more. My first thought is this one report or should it broken down into a couple of reports, should it be spread across pages instead of the one long report it appears to be.

Perhaps the data is returning partailly empty rows, that will impact the presentation of the report and create the empty pages. Given the dataset number and possible relationship that seem something reasonable to look at.

Such are my thoughts at the moment.
Well, we did some tests recently and we got some error patterns, like:
It renders only forty-nine pages.
The last fifty pages are always blank.

So, the rendered pages are located on this mentioned interval, and it is very odd.
We tried multiple scenarios with large data amounts, but it goes exactly like I describe above, suggesting that is a limitation.
lucasrinaldi

Post by lucasrinaldi »

Lech Kulikowski wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:52 pm Hello,

Yes, it is difficult to say something exactly without running a report. We do need the full database, just a test data that allow to run report and reproduce the issue.

Thank you.
Our tech lead has taken a few days off, and when he gets back, I'll be meeting with him to try to get some data out there for you.
We are currently testing with our customers' data, which makes it impossible for us to make it available to you.

I will provide the sample and database as soon as possible.

Best regards,