Special characters in PDF417 barcode

Stimulsoft Reports.WEB discussion
SandPlus

Special characters in PDF417 barcode

Post by SandPlus »

Hi

I'm trying to add a PDF417 barcode to a stimulsoft report in a ASP.NET MVC app. Stimulsoft version is 2018.3.5.

The problem is that when the barcode data contains special characters from the Croatian language, I get the “Input data not valid for this barcode” error. My understanding is that there should be an option to change the encoding to UTF-8. I found this option for the QR barcode (StiOptions.Engine.BarcodeQRCodeDefaultByteModeEncoding = StiQRCodeECIMode.UTF_8), and it works fine with all characters, but I can’t find it for PDF417.

I attached a picture with all the designer options I’m using. The code here contains just one of the characters that causes the error.
Attachments
StimulsoftBarCode.png
StimulsoftBarCode.png (38.15 KiB) Viewed 685 times
Lech Kulikowski

Re: Special characters in PDF417 barcode

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

PDF417 was never originally designed to support Multi-byte character sets (Unicode). Some modern readers now allow for UTF-8 encoded PDF417 to work around this limitation.

But you are the first person to ask about this in the last five years. The vast majority of users use the QR-Code barcode for Unicode.
So unfortunately we have not updated the functionality of this PDF417 barcode in a long time.
If you need it, send a request to the support@stimulsoft.com, we will try to investigate the issue.

Thank you.
SandPlus

Post by SandPlus »

Thanks for the info.

All things considered, we decided to just replace the problematic characters with similar ones that work.
Lech Kulikowski

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

Thank you for the information.