Crash with 2020 trial StiWebDesigner

Stimulsoft Reports.WEB discussion
RossAFaneuf

Crash with 2020 trial StiWebDesigner

Post by RossAFaneuf »

I am upgrading an application from StimulSoft 2016 to 2020, and am using the trial version until we are authorized to purchase 2020. The conversion has gone well except for the page which uses the web designer. This page is a complex page with two layers of .master pages, some JQuery dialogs, and script usage. This page worked correctly with 2016, but gets the following error with 2020:

Type : System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Message : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source : Stimulsoft.Report.WebDesign
Help link :
TargetSite : Void RegisterClientScriptBlockIntoHeader(System.String, System.String)
HResult : -2147467261
Stack Trace : at Stimulsoft.Report.Web.StiWebDesigner.RegisterClientScriptBlockIntoHeader(String key, String script) in D:\Stimulsoft\Stimulsoft.Reports\Stimulsoft.Report.WebDesign\Designer\StiWebDesigner.cs:line 92
at Stimulsoft.Report.Web.StiWebDesigner.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) in D:\Stimulsoft\Stimulsoft.Reports\Stimulsoft.Report.WebDesign\Designer\StiWebDesigner.Render.cs:line 596
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I know you would like a simple reproducible page, but I'm sure the complexity of this page is the issue and I don't have authorization to change it radically.

If there is an issue with FindControl() and master pages I can assist with dealing with that problem.
Lech Kulikowski

Re: Crash with 2020 trial StiWebDesigner

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

We couldn't reproduce the issue on our samples.

Please send us a sample project which reproduces the issue for analysis.

Thank you.
RossAFaneuf

Post by RossAFaneuf »

Can you learn anything from the stack trace I provided? If I had a sense of what the StimulSoft code is doing at the failure point I might be able to figure out changes to make the editor work.

Providing a project which reproduces the problem would require i extract a significant part of our product, and it would frankly be easier to completely rewrite the page than do that. In any case I doubt I am authorized to let you have 50-100 thousand lines of our code.
RossAFaneuf

Post by RossAFaneuf »

I have resolved this issue by restructuring our web application to bring the Web designer in a separate page.

A last minor issue is that we want to be able to exit the designer and return to the original page, but I don't see how to enable the 'Exit' button for the File menu. Is that possible?

Thank you
Ross Faneuf
Lech Kulikowski

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

You can use the following option:
ShowFileMenuExit - Enables showing the main menu item - Exit. By default, the property is set to true.
https://www.stimulsoft.com/en/documenta ... ttings.htm

Thank you.