Improve print quality

Stimulsoft Reports.Flex discussion
Vladimir

Re: Improve print quality

Post by Vladimir »

Hello,

According to your requirements should work correctly.
Prerelease build will be available tomorrow, December 31.

Thank you.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Hello,

I did a battery test (always with the maximum print quality) about this issue and with StiOptions.print.printAsBitmap = false; have basically the same (or worst) quality as StiOptions.print.printAsBitmap = true.
Seems that Stimulsoft.Fx always print as bitmap not matter the value of the printAsBitmap variable.

I came to this conclusion because I exported the same report to PDF and print from it and get much better quality but the HTML part of the report (textbox formatted as html) print with a very poor quality and very similar as printed directly from the viewer. I saw that the html part is exported to PDF as an image.

This is a stopper issue but unfortunately only now I saw it.

PS: I saw that the exported text as image (text formated as html) to PDF have poor quality even in the PDF viewer so the answer may rely on the exported image quality !
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Hello,

Unfortunately, at this moment, the quality of the HTML text is not better than in a PDF, DOCX or other export formats, because the export of the HTML text is rendered as an image. This is done because in the .NET report engine the text in HTML splits into its component parts .DLL system library (tags, words, wordwrap, text size, considering all languages and fonts). It is very difficult to port this library into Flex.

Thank you.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Like the other post, I understand that you need to export as image however the exported quality is very very poor.

And what about the main question: StiOptions.print.printAsBitmap = false is not working at all ?
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Hello,

Internally this property disables the print as bitmap for PrintJob, here is the code:

Code: Select all

var pjo: PrintJobOptions = new PrintJobOptions(StiOptions.print.printAsBitmap);
Most likely not all Flex components support vector printing.

Thank you.
hugo

Post by hugo »

But can you improve the export text as image quality to PDF (html formated text) so I can manage to export to PDF and then print from that ?
You can see a PDF with formated text, the image quality is very very poor !
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Hello,

You can change Image Resolution from 100 dpi to 200 or 300 dpi in PDF export settings, this will improve the image quality.
Also you need to take into account that a large dpi increases the size of the PDF file and slows down the export of the report.

Thank you.
hugo

Post by hugo »

The html text (image) improves a bit, yes. You probably are generating a JPG context. If you generate a PNG then you can improve a lot the compression and get perfect quality (it's only black and white and PNG is perfect for that)!
HighAley

Post by HighAley »

Hello.

Here are all supported by PDF specification:
CCITTFaxDecode - Decompresses data encoded using the CCITT facsimile standard, reproducing the original data (typically monochrome image data at 1 bit per pixel).

JBIG2Decode - (PDF 1.4) Decompresses data encoded using the JBIG2 standard, reproducing the original monochrome (1 bit per pixel) image data (or an approximation of that data).

DCTDecode - Decompresses data encoded using a DCT (discrete cosine transform) technique based on the JPEG standard, reproducing image sample data that approximates the original data.

JPXDecode - (PDF 1.5) Decompresses data encoded using the wavelet-based JPEG2000 standard, reproducing the original image data.
Unfortunately, there is no PNG format and it's impossible to use it.

Thank you.
hugo

Post by hugo »

OK, thank you for the aditional information.