Report Viewer becomes very slow when loading a large dataset in ASP.NET Core

Stimulsoft Reports.WEB discussion
Post Reply
dygfygs
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2026 2:11 am

Report Viewer becomes very slow when loading a large dataset in ASP.NET Core

Post by dygfygs »

Hi,

I'm using Stimulsoft Reports.WEB with ASP.NET Core and I'm having a performance issue when loading a report with a large amount of data.

The report works normally with a few thousand records, but when the dataset grows to around 50,000–100,000 records, the Report Viewer takes a very long time to load and sometimes appears to freeze in the browser.

The data is loaded from SQL Server, and I'm currently binding the result directly to the report.

Is there a recommended way to improve the performance in this case? For example, should I use pagination, filter the data before binding, or configure the report/viewer differently?

Any advice or example would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Lech Kulikowski
Posts: 7881
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:34 am

Re: Report Viewer becomes very slow when loading a large dataset in ASP.NET Core

Post by Lech Kulikowski »

Hello,

Slowdowns like this usually depend on the report itself: its structure, the components used (nested bands, sub-reports, heavy expressions, etc.) and how much data it processes, not only on the row count. Filtering and aggregating data in SQL helps, but it's also worth optimizing the report design.
We have several articles on this topic that should help:
https://www.stimulsoft.com/en/blog/arti ... ng-reports
https://www.stimulsoft.com/en/blog/arti ... rts-part-2
https://www.stimulsoft.com/en/blog/arti ... rts-part-3

Thank you.
Post Reply